title
Mar 25, 2015
Remembering LKY
Last Monday in the pre hours, Singapore Minister Mentor (MM) Lee left us. After a long and difficult time that .Mr. lee had spent in ICU for over a month, the time finally came. It has been a nervous situation that everyone (particularly the media) was in during the final week where Mr. Lee struggled in Hospital. There was even false new spreading Mr. Lee’s (premature) death that had deceived even the major media (CNN etc)
Its 3 days since Mr. Lee’s passing, and all the news around me ( whether TV / radio / newspapers or even MRT and buses ) were full of news regarding of Mr. Lee’s passing, and it give me some deep thoughts, so I should write a blog in remembrance of an important figure of the history of Singapore ( and maybe the world )
Talking about Mr. Lee, I must admit that I never seen him in person, nor I had bought any of his books. My knowledge of him mainly comes from history books, main stream media (TV programs / radio / newspapers) or even U-tube.
From my knowledge , he was a determined man , a decisive man that will take action immediately on the things he believe in ( probably the way the words PAP (action party) comes by . He was very good to his friends but evil to his opponents, and he is also well known for not willing to admit any mistake (presuming he never make mistakes).Saying sorry probably the hardest word that came out of his mouth. This is Mr. Lee Kuan Yew, a powerful leader. But whether is he a benevolent or passionate one? I seriously doubt so
Coming to the demise of Mr. Lee, my feeling was rather mixed. On one hand, he felt relatively sad, that a person which had done so much (whether good or bad) for our nation, has come to end. On the other hand, I felt glad that Mr. Lee was being relived of his sufferings in hospital over the month.
Question for thought. Is Mr. Lee Kuan Yew a successful man (or a failure one?). Mr. Lee’s contribution to Singapore was never in doubt, but the debate was rather on how much of this contributions should be given to him (whether is it ALL? MOST? Or SOME? ) . I went thru the MSM or pro PAP websites , and it always presume LKY as the SOLE contributor towards the building of Singapore from a fishing village to first world nation . (Is Singapore still a fishing village in the 1960s??) . On the other hand, that news from those alternative media seems to downplay or even deny Mr. Lee’s contribution.
So which do I believe? I hope to see an unbiased media, reporting Mr. Lee’s merits based on f acts and not pass him any undue credits helm by his colleagues. We should practice the virtue of thanks giving, and honor Mr. Lee as indeed ours lives had improved in some form or the other.
I should visit his wake at JLink (Jurong East) this evening to give my condolences
With Deepest Condolences for Mr. LHL and his family
hwee toi
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment